30% of the energy used in buildings are unnecessary and wasteful.
Google uses only 0.013% of the world’s energy. This may seem like a small amount, however, the amount of energy it uses can power two hundred thousand homes.
If we were able to harvest all the sun’s energy that reaches the earth every minute we would be able to satisfy the world’s energy demands for an entire year.
The two major sources of energy are renewable and nonrenewable energy. Three-quarters of the world uses nonrenewable energy.
In a light bulb only 10% of the energy is actually used for light. The other 90% is used to produce heat. Compact Florescent Light Bulbs (CFL) use 80% less energy and last 12 times longer than a normal light bulb.
The radioactive isotopes used in nuclear power plants have extremely long half lives, therefore they remain toxic in the environment for hundreds of thousands of years.
In 1979 an accident occurred in a nuclear reactor in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Plant mutations and thyroid cancer increase were some of the consequences.
The air pollution in Beijing, China is sixteen times worse than the air pollution in New York City. Blue skies in Beijing are rare and at times the air is so smoggy buildings a couple blocks away are hard to see.